Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reflection: An Evening with the Accordionist


Last night, I was fortunate enough to sit in on the regional monthly meeting of the National Accordion Association - my sweetheart, Matt Tolentino, was the evening's featured performer.  Along with the usual polkas, he offered up rags, Oriental fox trots and traditional jazz pieces - a departure from what most would expect of the instrument.  Sometimes I feel that he's on a two-handed crusade to expand the accordion's reputation - and it's a beautiful thing to behold.

Music is intimately linked to the work I create - it's a constant in that offbeat "world in my head".  Its cadences are reflected in the drawings it inspires, in turns sonorous and staggered.  How appropriate that my life has taken this interesting turn - engaged to marry a musician who practically lives to preserve the archaic two-steps, cakewalks, fox trots, Charlestons and what-not that I hold extremely dear.  I'm excited to see where this enthusiastic partnership leads - not only on a romantic level, but in terms of how my work is affected.  If I thought it was wacky now, it can only get more so from here on out.

Here's to what's to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment