Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lives Remembered

Initially I'd held back on posting this illustration, as I created it for a friend who recently lost his father. Being personal in nature, I wanted him to see it before anybody else - but now that the original is safely in his hands, I feel it's proper to share with you folks, too.

Over the years, I've learned, via two-sided experience, that it's almost impossible for me to express grief, or sympathy, for a lost parent through words... whether too strong, or not strong enough, my attempts often fall flat. It's too significant a thing. So I tend to try through illustration - this being an example. I wanted to create a simple, hopeful image to raise his spirits - and honestly, I couldn't think of a better subject than toads. They've brought me a hell of a lot of joy, after all. The banjo refers to the recipient personally - I threw in a pretty lady to serenade on its strings, for good measure. Let's have a closer look at her...

I put her in a frosty, silver dress trimmed with organza and metallic spots - and peacock feathers in her hair, set in a Beardsley-rose ornament. She and the toads are perched on voodoo lilies (amorphophallus rivieri), personal favorites from my garden. The toads, of course, are Gulf Coast specimens - let's have a peek at their faces, just for the sake of personality...


... chipper, and...
... somewhat more serious. The leaves of the voodoo lilies deserve a bit of attention, too - as in reality, they boast a remarkable design of undulating leaves and patterns. They're something of an alien presence among my other plants, their only competition in oddness being Venus Fly Traps and Sarracenia Rosea...


I'm happy to say that our friend enjoys the illustration, to the extent of having it displayed in his living room - I consider that one of the highest honors, others finding amusement and joy in my work. As well, an interesting side note... although it didn't strike me at the time, it makes sense that toads would play such a primary role, seeing as how my own pop adored these little creatures. I'm sure that, subconsciously, I was thinking of him as well, while paying tribute to another's late father. Better yet, both were clearly bon vivants in their own ways - lives truly worth celebrating.

Here's to the memory of loved ones past, and present - at all stages, let's never forget to embrace one another.

2 comments: