Sunday, April 17, 2011

Orchestra Banners, Volume 2

I mentioned in a recent entry that I had a little update, regarding the Slingers banner - here it is, in a wonderful photo taken at the recently restored Kessler Theatre. If you can look past Matt's fantastic 1920s Odd Fellows robe, you'll see the set of six stand-flags that I designed and executed. They come from the same panels of surplus velveteen and crushed velvet as the original orchestra banner (standing faithfully in the rear) - just smaller versions, focusing on the lotus flower element. I would have gone with an initialed concept, but seeing the letters "SS" just might not have communicated the positive vibe I was going for...

As with the banner, the flags were initially designed on newsprint, which was then cut into a template. After much cutting and pinning, the layers were sewn by machine (my much-beloved Pfaff 7550) - finished, they are secured to the music stands with velcro. I'm very happy with how they turned out, adding yet more vintage character to the performances.

I'm currently working on a couple of costume projects - once ready, I'm eager to post photos here. Once again, keep your eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment